Inducing Vomiting in Your Dog

Inducing Vomiting in Your Dog

A little over a year ago, I took a pet safety class that actually certified me for two years in basic pet safety. In the class we learned how to muzzle a dog when they were hurt, basic first aid procedures, how to help a choking dog and even dog CPR. However, the most valuable lesson I learned in that class was what is absolutely poisonous to dogs and how to induce them to throw up if they ingest something they shouldn’t. This is a list of 10 common household items a dog might get into that can cause very serious problem and sometimes death of your four legged loved one.

  1. Chocolate the more pure the chocolate is the more dangerous
  2. Xylitol an artificial sweetener found in things like gum
  3. Macadamia Nuts
  4. Avocados
  5. Grapes, Raisins and Currants
  6. Household Cleaners
  7. Onions, Garlic and Chives
  8. Human Medications
  9. Alcohol
  10. Insecticides

If your dog induces one of these items and you witness it, the recommended way to induce vomiting is by giving your dog hydrogen peroxide 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of dogs body weight. It should take no more than 30 minutes. However, you can repeat the dosage in 15 minutes. Contact your veterinarian  for further instructions. 

If you didn’t witness your dog eating ingesting the dangerous food contact your vet. It is NOT¬†recommended to induce vomiting:

  1. If food wasn’t ingested within the hour
  2. If your dog isn’t healthy
  3. Your dog runs the risk of inhaling the vomit into his lungs like the smushy face breeds can sometimes do.
  4. Your dog is already showing signs of the poison

I blog based on my life so as usual, I wrote this based on an incident that happened in my life yesterday. My hands sometimes grab things and thinks they are holding them when in fact the item isn’t there. It happened yesterday with a clove of garlic. I bent down so fast to grab it away from my puppy Zoey, I smashed my eye into my walker. zoey ate the whole clove quicker then I could say NO. I quickly made a peroxide mixture in a little saucer. I put peanut butter in the bottom so I know she’d lap up the liquid. I did have to repeat this after 15 minutes. She did finally throw up and the clove of garlic came out, which is what I wanted. I called the vet, she said Zoey should be fine. I put ice on my face since I bashed my eye and was tearing for over an hour. This morning both Zoey and I are fine, I’m very happy to report.

 

2 thoughts on “Inducing Vomiting in Your Dog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: